If you like Edgar Allan Poe and you enjoy creating artful projects, you are in the right place!

Thursday, March 5, 2015

QUOTH THE RAVEN CHALLENGE #42: DREAM ON!

The "Quoth the Raven, Nevermore" website has posted the challenge for March, and it is all about dreams!  This challenge is subject to your personal interpretation; the only rule is that it must--in some way--be related to Edgar Allan Poe.  

When I searched the literature for references in Poe's works to dream (which also would include variations of the word), I found more references than I had time to count.  As an artist, I did find a quote to which I could definitely relate!

Eleonora is one of Edgar Allan Poe's short stories.  Like many other of his works, it is said by most reviewers to be autobiographical in nature. If true, then it is clear to me that Eleonora is actually Virginia Clemm Poe, his cousin/bride.  However, the two introductory paragraphs of the story seem to be a defense of the narrator's sanity.  I cannot separate the quote I have used as my inspiration from those sentences that precede it:
I AM come of a race noted for vigor of fancy and ardor of passion.  Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence -- whether much that is glorious -- whether all that is profound -- does not spring from disease of thought -- from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect.  They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
You can read the whole short story here.

My artwork today measures approximately 5" x 5" (without matting) and features a Stampotique Originals stamp called Bob's in Time Out.  Bob, with that mustache, does remind me a bit of Poe!  A supply list appears below the image.



Supplies used:

  • Beige and brown card stock from my stash
  • Graphic45 A Ladies' Diary Collection (background)
  • Dylusions stencil (DYS34216)
  • Wendy Vecchi's Crackled Texture Paste
  • Tim Holtz' Tea Dye Distress Stain (to colorize paste before applying)
  • Tim Holtz' Vintage Photo Distress Ink (to colorize paste after applying)
  • Ranger Mini Ink Blending Tool
  • Stampotique Originals Bob's in Time Out stamp
  • Computer generated and printed quote
  • Ranger Black Archival Ink
It's a brand new challenge today at the Quoth the Raven site, so come on over and play.  There are prizes to be won and fun and inspiration galore!





11 comments:

  1. What a fantastic quote- Kay!!
    Love the colors you chose and Bob does look a bit like Poe! ")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob does look like Poe lol, beautiful card with a fantastic quote. Another treat for my senses :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Bob as Poe, Kay ! Great piece and wonderful quote !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it !! adore the image heaps and love the little texture bits around it, thank you for your lovely comments on my Tim tag x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, I'm going to struggle to explain why!! You've got your favourite neutral colours but when I think of the dreaming I'll bet he dreams in bright vivid colours :) Big hugs, wishing you a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quote & great choice of image ♥

    Lovely artwork as always Kay xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, Kay. Love all the background elements on this - they are perfect with the quote and main image!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the poem and quote and how you took a non-traditional Poe image and made it work so brilliantly! You are fabulous dear friend! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It gleams, it glows, it makes me want to dream too. Poe Bob. Great stuff. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous and I love that quote. Gorgeous background and I love these images. They are perfect.

    ReplyDelete