If you like Edgar Allan Poe and you enjoy creating artful projects, you are in the right place!

Thursday, April 9, 2015

QUOTH THE RAVEN CHALLENGE #43: TIC-TAC-POE (WEEK 2)

Reminder inspiration is up on the Quoth the Raven website, and I have a new piece of art to show you today. The theme Tic-Tac-Poe will continue throughout the month, and I hope you will create something for this challenge. 

We are using the following Tic-Tac-Poe grid to help you with your project. Just pick any three elements--horizontally, vertically, and diagonally--and get crafty! Just remember--in some way--your work must be related to Edgar Allan Poe.



For this week's project, I have chosen 3D Decoupage, Poe, and Lace! The 3-D decoupage segment was, indeed, quite the challenge.  I first had to Google the term to find a description of this technique.  What appeared pretty simple turned out to be not so simple after all.  Fussy cutting and pop dots were the mainstay of this project.  When I finished and showed it to my husband, he said that it appeared as if Poe had had a stroke!  I hope there is a learning curve here and that I can only get better!

The background was created by mixing three colors of re-inkers and alcohol on my craft mat and dragging Ranger's specialty stamping paper through it.   I also dripped a bit of alcohol directly onto my page to encourage the inks to move and blend.



The quote is my "Poe" segment.  Although these words will not be found in a search of his works, he is credited with saying it (here).  The wine glass I found on the internet and is a penciled drawing by Aimee Flom. The lace is called "Venice" and is from Simplicity.  The metal skull and crossbones are from Tim Holtz' idea-ology "adournments" collection.

Thanks for stopping by today and for taking the time to leave a comment--both are important to me! If you have not already done so, please also take a moment to become a follower of this blog. If you would like to receive e-mail notifications when I update this blog, you can also "follow by e-mail." You will find both options in the upper right-hand corner.


11 comments:

  1. Cool piece Kay! love the face- has almost a movement to it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the effect of the skulls and lace together! Great piece, Kay. Keep the ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic - I love the 3D Poe and your background paper is AWESOME !!! :-D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant and what a fabby challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohhh....love! The background is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fab Kay, your background is brilliant! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok first, I laughed out loud to hear Russ' comment but then I wow'd out loud at the card as I scrolled down. LOVE that background and its glorious texture! Your 3-D effect, I think, was very well handled. That lace is to die for - yummmminess !!! How on earth did you get such a perfect text in there - printed tissue overlay? LOVE it !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Russ is a tease lol, your page is awesome Kay. So many lovely techniques, your background is sublime as is the lace:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kay,
    Absolutely beautiful! The background is wonderful and EAP is looking pretty spiffy - if I may say so! I love every detail. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah a wine glass, but not to drink from this one I fear. xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kay, this is brilliant - love the background, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete